The Gulf Concours
Me with the 1955 Mercedes Benz 300SL Gullwing at the Gulf Concours.
As in many other places in the globe, collectors and connoisseurs from the automotive world gather to share experiences, discuss and appreciate the best automobiles ever created. Many of these gatherings, the Concours, have become iconic and surpassed a discreet meeting with new concepts and models showcased by brands during the event: such as the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in California and the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este in Como.
An event of this kind is now brought to Dubai, the Gulf Concours held its first edition over this weekend at the majestic Burj Al Arab. Fortunately I was able to attend the event and see these incredible masterpieces, both classics such as the Ferrari 250 GTO and more contemporary ones such as the 2016 W Motors Lykan HyperSport and the 2010 Pagani Zonda Tricolore.
The winners of this edition were the following in its respective categories:
- Best Classic Car: 1965 Ferrari 250GT Berlinetta Sport Speciale (One off);
- Best Classic Design: 1970 Citroen DS 21 IE Cabriolet;
- Best Modern Bespoke: 2015 Ferrari LaFerrari;
- Best Special Edition: 2016 Bentley Continental GTR8;
- Highly Commended Classic Sports Car: 1966 McLaren M1B Can-Am:
- Highly Commended Classic Restoration: 1951 Jaguar XK120 Roadster.
Scroll down and click on the images to see more details from the event and the models featured in it.